Sunday, May 18, 2008

Portland: Part 1 - Multnomah Falls

Last weekend we ventured to the big city to attend the Northwest Vegetarian Festival! We managed to pack in quite a bit of site seeing during our two day stay.

Our first stop was Multnomah Falls...



Plummeting 620 feet from its origins on Larch Mountain, this is the second tallest year round waterfall in the country. We followed the 1.2 mile trail more than 600 feet to the top of the falls. There are amazing views of the the Columbia River Gorge along the way. Being at or below sea level for most of my life made this an energy zapping trek for me. I had to stop several times to catch my breath while pregnant women, small children, and grandparents raced past! Ha! It was definitely worth the pain (and mild humiliation) to look over the edge as the water rushed to the earth at gravity's will.






Seriously, did you see the bridge?

Photobucket




Fun video too...with chipmunks!

<

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Erin! Isn't Portland gorgeous?? I loved Multnomah Falls and I too had some breathing problems...all that time in flat florida I guess. Eugene looks amazing too...so glad you are exploring all this beautiful land. Please continue to post pictures!

emc said...

Hi L!
The trip was super fun. I will definitely go back soon for more exploring. It's funny that you went to the falls too! Although, I guess it is one of the most popular destinations in Oregon. So gorgeous!

SummerGraceMeow said...

Funny you mentioned having to stop to breath. That is exactly what I thought about... Really enjoyed the pics and the chipmunk video! :)